Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Super Easy Super Stripey Baby Blanket

As I was making these balls and baby blanket for a friend's little boy, I thought, "hey, I should write down the patterns." Because I'm bad about doing that.

I'll post the ball patterns later, but for now, here's the free baby blanket pattern. If you try it, please leave me a comment and let me know how it works up for you. I'm not new to crochet, but I am new to writing out patterns!

Super Easy Super Stripey Baby Blanket Pattern

You'll Need:

100% cotton 4-ply worsted weight yarn in a variety of colors
Size K or 10.5 (or 6.5 MM) crochet hook

My stitch gauge was 3 stitches (plus a smidge) per inch.

Instructions:

In first color, chain (ch) 119 loosely. If your initial chain is too tight, you'll end up with more of a trapezoid blanket than a rectangle. Which actually sounds kind of fun.

Starting in second chain from hook, work one single crochet (sc) in each ch. Ch one, turn.
Sc in ea sc across. Ch one, turn.

Repeat until you have 90 rows total.

Now here's the fun part. You can do anything you want, color-wise. You could make the entire blanket a solid color, you could do alternating stripes, or you could use a variety of colors and stripe widths, like I did. I'd used three different variegated yarns for the balls, so I used everything in that color palate for the blanket (including leftover bits of the variegated yarns). I'd crochet until I felt like I had too much of something, then add something else to balance it out, then throw it off kilter again, and balance it out again. It was actually a lot of fun to work this way, because I avoided the monotony of crocheting with any one color or pattern for too long, and I had to keep thinking about what I wanted to do next.

End with a slip stitch (sl st).

With border color, work around outer edge of blanket twice using one sc in ea sc of blanket edge, using two sc in one sc at corners to turn. Sl st and weave in ends.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Are you on Ravelry? I'm not a knitter myself but I recently read this article (http://www.slate.com/id/2298584/) about how great this social networking site for knitters is, so now I'm telling people I know who knit about it in the hopes of vicariously enjoying some really good website design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on Ravelry as sillypepper, although I have to admit I'm under-utilizing it right now. I know people who love it. Maybe a project for the winter....

    ReplyDelete