Tuesday, January 17, 2012

On Having Enough

A few weeks ago, while we were wandering around a local greenhouse, Matthew and I made an impulse purchase. 



We bought three whole paperwhite bulbs.  I know, we're wild!

As our bulbs sent forth little white roots and strong green leaves, I thought about how nice it is to have flowers in the house in January, and how much the kids are learning by observing them.  I kept thinking that I should go back to the store and get some more bulbs, and start some every few weeks so we'd have lots and lots of amazing green growing things in the house this winter.


And then the paperwhites began to bloom.  They are beautiful, these pearly pale blossoms.  And very  fragrant.  Every time we walk into the living room/dining room/kitchen, POW!  Aroma of paperwhites.  It's a nice smell, in small doses.  But it makes me thankful, because 1. living in a small space, it only takes a little change to make a big difference to the feel of our home, and 2. I think we have enough paperwhites for now.   If I'd bought a dozen... whew!

Aren't they lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment