Monday, August 29, 2011

These Days

These last days of August, we are:

Enjoying the sun after Hurricane Irene's departure (what an eventful week!)

Enjoying the calm after the earthquake. Although we are continuing to notice things askew, like when I tried to open the lid to the chest freezer and found the freezer had become wedged under the sideboard. And how we lost power for 10 hours on Weds, because something had broken underground due to the shaking on Tues.

Preparing for Betsy's final year of preschool. Our county has full day kindergarten, so this will be her last year of afternoons at home with me. I'm the only parent I know who is sad about school starting. I've had such a good summer exploring with my girls. And since I haven't been a stay-at-home parent very long, this is the longest uninterrupted stretch I've had with Betsy since she was born. It's enough to make me--briefly--consider home schooling. I think I'd regret it come November when the weather is bad and all her friends are at school (in other words, when we'd be stuck at home with nobody to play with), but I have LOVED having this summer with my girls.

Pausing to enjoy this summer just a little bit more. Today's agenda includes meeting up with a friend and her daughter, maybe going to a park downtown, perhaps finding a yarn shop. Bliss.

Learning to make pickles! And jam! We pretty much eat or share these as fast as I make them, because I am so excited. But summer's not over and I can make more! Betsy asks, "Are we going to the farmers' market again Mom?"

Contemplating making a big, wonderful life change, and working out some preliminary logistical details. And wondering if I'd feel the same way come winter. Hmm.

2 comments:

  1. this last paragraph is quite intriguing. are you willing to share details:)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't on the blog, but I'll e-mail you. ;)

    ReplyDelete