Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ten Loves (#7: Discovering the Sweetness)

In honor of the last ten days until (or somewhat soon after) graduation, ten things for which I am super thankful.

#1: Family
#2: Doodling
#3: The Farmers' Market
#4: Thursday Afternoon Playdates
#5: Graduation Bingo
#6: Party Preparation

#7: Discovering the Sweetness

Yesterday I watched my baby make a great discovery. I offered Abigail a little white rose to sniff. At first she thought it might be food (everything is food to her), but her face lit up as she breathed that thick, sweet smell. She grinned at me, and leaned further into the rose to inhale again. I think this may have been the first time she ever smelled a rose. Can you imagine experiencing something so wonderful?

Of course, I did experience it decades ago, and I don't remember it. But judging from her reaction, it was something like how I might react to seeing Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon today. "Wow--can you believe this--what an amazing world we live in!"

It really is one of the best things about parenting, watching one's children discover the beauty and sweetness in the world, and falling in love with it all over again yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment