Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ten Loves (#3: The Farmers' Market)

For the last ten days until graduation, ten things for which I am super thankful.
#2: Doodling

#3: The Farmers' Market

Oh how I love the seasonal farmers' markets.

We actually have a year-round one on Saturdays, too. But there's something that feels so luxurious about being able to wander amongst such fresh produce four days a week if I wish. To run into friends, to talk to farmer who picked the strawberries this morning, and to enjoy selecting healthy, delicious food for my family in this relatively cool, still part of the day. It is truly a feast for all the senses.

I have memories of going to this particular market last August, when I was so pregnant with Abigail and it was so hot, to buy boxes and boxes of tomatoes to freeze. And returning in September with my two girls, one so tiny and asleep in a carrier. And now she's happily bouncing around, trying to swipe produce. The time has just flown.

I realize that not everyone can afford to shop at farmers' markets, which is why we also support the Volunteer Farm, which provides fresh produce to 2 food banks and more than 800 food pantries in Virginia. We'll have more on that later, but for now I encourage you to check out the link, and check out your own farmers' market if you are able.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Is this the one at Oak Marr...those strawberries look devine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, this was Oak Marr, and the strawberries are great, really sweet. If you ever need a mid-week run, let me know!

    ReplyDelete